IWK Health Centre
Department/Program: Birth Unit, Women & Newborn Health Program
Type of Employment: Temporary Hourly FT long-assignment (100% FTE) until 12/17/2022 x 1 position(s)
Req ID: 121146
Union Status: NSNU Nursing, Nursing Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $35.2108 – $42.9366 /hour
Posting Date: October 15, 2021
Closing Date: October 20, 2021
Start Date: 11/14/2021
IWK Health is an internationally recognized and respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million women, children, youth and families across the Atlantic region. IWK Health is committed to employment equity and the reduction of barriers to employment and career growth. We encourage all who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities, and/or 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply.
The Registered Nurse is responsible and accountable for the application of current theory and research in the delivery of family-centred nursing care to intra-partum women, newborns and their families in the Birth Unit, consistent with the philosophy, vision, objectives and mission of IWK Health.
Hours of Work
11.25 hour rotating shifts (0700-1900, 1900-0700), and on call as needed (Days & Nights).
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing required (candidates with commensurate experience and education will be considered).
- Registered, or eligible to be registered, with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) required.
- Recent Birth Unit experience an asset.
- Acute nursing experience an asset.
- Current successful completion of a Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Basic Life Support Level (BLS) Program within the last 12 months, or successful completion of a BLS Renewal Challenge Certificate, required.
- Recent completion of NRP and Labour and Delivery experience an asset.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Demonstrated team building, leadership skills and professional development required.
- Open and flexible, with the ability to facilitate change, required.
- Ability to foster and create an environment where team members feel empowered and valued required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and acceptance of family-centred care and patient-family teaching required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to collaborate with families.
- Competency in other languages an asset; French preferred.
Thank you for your interest in IWK Health. We will only contact those applicants selected for interview/testing. Applicants we invite to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
Please note: our offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Thank you for your interest with IWK Health. Please sign in to create a profile and set-up Job Alerts for positions of interest.
If you are an employee of IWK Health, please apply through the to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant. Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
IWK Health Centre